Friday, July 31, 2009

My Favourite Baby Stuff (1)

In preparation for our latest arrival, I've been stocking up on several useful and handy items which I have found to be a must-have after having tried them on Jeremy ( the human guinea pig). I thought I would share these with mummies out there who could be on the hunt for the perfect cream, lotion or what-nots for their precious bundle of joys...

Esemtan Wash Lotion
When Jeremy was an infant, it was recommended that I use Sebamed baby shampoo and baby cleasing liquid to keep his skin soft and healthy. I was using those products till he turned 3 months old and developed horrible looking rashes around his neck which would not go away. I was then recommended by his paed to use Eucerin Sensitive Skin Wash lotion which did little to improve his condition. He then recommended that I try out Esemtan Wash lotion which I later found out (from its main distributor) , that it was only available in one major hospital in the whole KL (and possibly Malaysia) and retails for RM50 for 180ml - yeah real expensive. Within a week, his rashes disappeared and his baby skin was soft and smooth again. What's great about this wash lotion is that it is very mild, soapless, pleasant smelling and most importantly - there will be no tears, it's non-irritating and safe for babies and even adults! You don't need to use much of it - just a drop or two is required to wash the baby's hair and body and you don't need to rinse his/her hair or body frequently given that it is soapless.. It takes me only a couple of minutes to rinse his hair and body and a bottle can last me around 5 months! Since this product is not available off the shelf at pharmacy outlets in Malaysia, I usually get my supply from Singapore when I'm down there each year. You can find them virtually in every Guardian pharmacy in Singapore and only retails at SGD11 (approximately RM26.95) which is so much cheaper compared to Malaysia. I usually raid the pharmacy shelfs and buy around 5 to 6 bottles to "smuggle" back to Malaysia.

Prolin All-Over Lotion (With Mozshield Complex)
The rise of dengue and Chikungunya rates in Malaysia is becoming rather alarming lately. With radio and TV ads about a mother talking about how she would destroy life to protect her children, you could see and feel how serious the issue has become. In the past, I used mosquito repellant patches to protect him from these potentially deadly creatures but he would tear them off as soon as he sees them. Apart from that he doesn't ( and neither do I) seem to like to lemon balm plant smell (which wards away the mosquitoes) that comes with the patch. The smell and oil extract is common in many insect repellant creams. I was then introduced to the Prolin lotion. It's easy to apply, non-sticky, alchohol free and safe for children. I usually apply this on Jeremy when he is asleep or outdoors to shield his skin from mosquito bites. It worked rather well when we took him to Tanjung Jara Resort this year since the place was located practically near a jungle. Jeremy likes it becos it does not contain the lemon balm plant smell. A 100ml bottle currently retails for RM11 a bottle at Cosway outlets but I understand that it is also made available online on certain web shops.

Power Max Kiddie Wash
I was using Nappikleen Liquid Anti-Bacteria Wash for Jeremy's clothes since the first month of his delivery but found the strong smelling detergent just too harsh on his delicate clothes. I decided to change to Power Max Kiddie Wash (another product from Cosway) an extra gentle wash for children's clothes, which not only remove stains but makes the clothes smells good, clean and fresh whenever he wears them. It retails for approximately RM20 for a 1 liter bottle at Cosway outlets.

2 comments:

etceteramommy said...

Thanks! I think I'm gonna give this Esemtan Wash Lotion a try. I like it's a no tear product.

How's the pregnancy coming along? Take care there.

Pinky said...

Yeah - you should give it a try, Yvonne, there's nothing to lose *g*. Pregnancy's coming along fine - just stocking up on new baby stuff and etc...