Monday, August 20, 2012

Citizenship and migration

Recently, one of the close family friends declared in the Facebook revoking of the Malaysian citizenship and moved on to Singapore citing the following reasons for the decision:

- Politics in Malaysia
- Increasing crime rate in Malaysia
- Feels more comfortable in Singapore
- Committing future with Singapore

Such events trivial and irrelevant in may seems, but it always trigger massive discussions (150 comments in FB on the status area!!) and one always start to reflect on own positions when faced with such interesting topics which always will be peppered with emotions and sense of nationalism.

Well, I might as well put my thoughts down for record purposes:
  • Migration and citizenship I thought are two separate matters. In short, you can choose to live outside Malaysia but remain as citizen.
  • Revocation of citizenship requires a far more serious reason than what is being mentioned above. On the first two points, it would be a valid reason to live outside Malaysia BUT not giving up citizenship. Otherwise many Filipinos, Brazilians and South Africans would have left the country for good.
  • I thought valid reasons for giving up citizenship can be such as the country is in a war torn situation, massive or acute poverty level, Apartheid or holocaust situations or whenever when lives are in danger.
  • In the case of Singapore, I would have accepted reasons such as, wife and children all Singaporeans or the last 2 reasons mentioned above as somewhat 'reasonable' reasons.
  • More importantly, both migration and revocation of citizenships are indeed a very personal decision, and there is no right or wrong answer to that. However, what is definitely wrong is trying very hard to prove one's decision is a better one than another person's, as circumstances may differ from one to another, preferences and expectations in how to live life may also differ from to another. In short, one man's meat may be another man's poison.
As for me, I can't say for sure I will definitely live in Malaysia forever and ever. But it is unlikely to revoke my citizenship as:
  1. Many of my business contacts and friends that I have built over the years are in Malaysia
  2. I would like to give my children a choice to live anywhere in the world but have the options to exercise their rights from their birth nation.
  3. I probably will retire in Malaysia
  4. Cost of living at this juncture is acceptable
  5. Practical about political matters
And no matter what is being said about our government. Well, I for one once experienced a situation where I thought I have lost my passport (I actually misplaced it) in Melbourne. When I called the consular office, they actually waited for me until 7.30pm on a Friday evening, so that they can help me process a temporary travel document to enable me to fly back to KL on the same day. Hence, I must say they do try to help.

Parting words - Reasons to migrate or revocation of citizenship must be more of how good is Singapore rather than how crappy and unworthy is Malaysia to the person. Choice of applying the latter is probably another case of an over enthusiastic converter I am afraid.

No comments: